Under strict rules, limited resources, and an intense six-week time limit, teams of students are challenged to raise funds, design a team “brand,” hone teamwork skills, and build and program industrial-size robots to play a difficult field game against like-minded competitors. It’s as close to real-world engineering as a student can get. Volunteer professional mentors lend their time and talents to guide each team. Each season ends with an exciting FIRST Championship.
FIRST Robotics Competition teams get to:
- Learn from professional engineers
- Master STEM skills
- Learn and use sophisticated software, hardware, and power tools
- Build and compete with a robot of their own design
- Improve teamwork, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Compete and cooperate in alliances and tournaments
- Understand and practice Gracious Professionalism™
- Earn a place at the FIRST Championship
- Qualify for millions of dollars in college scholarships
Hard work pays off! Each FIRST Robotics Competition season culminates with district and regional events where qualifying teams compete for awards and a spot at the FIRSTChampionship. Events at every level offer students an amazing experience as they celebrate their hard work, have fun, make new friendships, and are exposed to ideas and ideology that will enhance their lives for decades to come. Every participant is eligible to apply for college scholarships!
FIRST Robotics Competition team members, adult Mentors, and Volunteers all agree – season-ending events (various Regional Event, District Events and FIRST Championship) are the most amazing, inspiring experiences they’ve ever had. Where else can you make new friends, share ideas, solve problems on the fly, compete like crazy, and get pumped up over technology all while having the time of your lives? At FIRST Robotics Competition events, students realize more than ever that FIRST is all about teamwork, sharing, helping others, and respect.
A big advantage to participating in FIRST is gaining access to millions in college scholarships made available by colleges, universities, and corporations who support FIRST. This is exclusive financial help open only to FIRST team members, giving them a competitive leg up on other students seeking educational funds.
- Most are for use at the specific Provider college or university, but some can be used at any school
- About 35% of FIRST Scholarships can be used for any course of study, not just engineering
- Amounts vary from one-time awards to full four-year tuition